Thursday, August 14, 2014

Purpose of this blog

[Update 5/28/15: See Transition to new URL name.]

[Update 3/5/15: See The Campaign Finance Reformers Blog.]

MAYDAY.US is a citizen's PAC which was started this year. Its purpose is to reduce the influence of money in politics. MAYDAY has raised close to $8,000,000 from over 55,000 online contributors. MAYDAY'S goal is to elect in 2016 a Congress that will fix the broken system of fundraising that has corrupted Congress. In 2014, MAYDAY  is picking eight Congressional races to focus on, and to learn from, looking towards its big effort for 2016. For more information, visit the MAYDAY.US website.

Earlier this year I ran in the Republican primary in the Alabama 6th Congressional district.  I ran my campaign as virtually a single issue for reducing the influence of money in politics. The primary election in the Alabama 6th Congressional district was on June 3rd.  I was not successful in the election. In the primary election campaign, none of the other candidates were willing to discuss my issue or take a position on it.

I have continued to press the issue, and I am now conducting a write in campaign. (See my campaign blog entry On Nov. 4, 2014, write in Rob Shattuck for Congress in AL06.)

After MAYDAY announced its first two candidates, I initiated tweeting into New Hampshire and the Iowa 3rd Congressional district and started contacting MAYDAY.US supporters. See For MAYDAY.US supporters and To voters in Iowa 3rd Congressional district.

MAYDAY has money to spend to purvey its message and to reach an audience. Whether supporters of MAYDAY, without spending money, can add much of significance in purveying that message depends on how many supporters are putting in time and effort. I am putting in time and effort, and I hope that can encourage others to do the same.

It is easy and quick to send individual tweets (50 in a half hour is no problem). I think if people coordinate on targets, that is worthwhile for increasing effectiveness.

If MAYDAY supporters step up and start tweeting, I would use this blog to report what tweeting is going on, etc.

In that vein, let me recapitulate what I have done thus far in a separate entry and make suggestions. See My tweeting thus far; suggestions

If you want to start tweeting and to coordinate with me, email me at rdshattuck@gmail.com or tweet me @RobShattuckAL06.

I hope I hear from you, and let's get going.

Update 8/19

See My tweeting going forward.

Update 8/23

The MAYDAY.US Facebook Group is a Facebook group formed under the auspices of MAYDAY.US. The MAYDAY.US Facebook Group has over 4,000 members. The group is emphasizing the conduct of discussion among MAYDAY supporters and is not aggressively promoting the interfacing of MAYDAY supporters with voters at large and in getting MAYDAY's message out to voters at large.

Further, the MAYDAY.US Facebook Group is prohibiting candidates from joining the group and posting information on the group's website to tell the group about a candidate's  views, position, and commitment to campaign finance reform, and prohibiting candidates from dialoguing on the website with members of the group about the same.

This MAYDAY Supporters Blog is independent and not under the auspices of MAYDAY.US.

This MAYDAY Supporters Blog will endeavor to promote aggressively the interfacing of MAYDAY supporters with voters at large and in getting MAYDAY's message out to voters at large.

Further, this MAYDAY Supporters Blog will invite candidates to provide information for the benefit of MAYDAY supporters and others about their  views, positions, and commitment to campaign finance reform, and will endeavor to enable dialogue between and among candidates and MAYDAY supporters and others with an interest in campaign finance reform.

Update 8/29

The Facebook Group knows about this Proposal to MAYDAY.US Facebook Group, and the Facebook Group declines to make any response.

Engagement with Congressional candidates has been initiated, per Engaging with Congressional candidates.


List of ideas put out to MAYDAY supporters

Below are links to ideas and suggestions  to MAYDAY supporters for their consideration (as to which I havedone my own implementation).

Engaging with Congressional candidates





No comments:

Post a Comment