Sunday, August 31, 2014

Open letter to James Hinton, Cong'l candidate CA05

From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Subject: MAYDAY and you as Cong'l candidate in CA05
To: james@hintonforcongress.com

Dear James,

I am a MAYDAY.US supporter. 

I believe MAYDAY supporters should engage with Congressional candidates about their position on campaign finance reform, and I have created a blog for doing this, among other things. See The MAYDAY Supporters Blog.

I am contacting you as a Congressional candidate in the Fifth Congressional district in California, and because of interest you have shown in MAYDAY and because of certain tweets that I have seen related to the same.

I have looked at your campaign website and in particular at the "Program" dropdown menu items. These items are:
  • Tame Wall Street
  • Take Back the Fed
  • Protect Our Businesses and Farms
  • Medicare for All
  • Social Security
  • Education and Housing
  • Protecting Civil Rights and Waging Peace
I do not see anything about campaign finance reform on your website. 

It does not seem to me that you offer anything for MAYDAY supporters whose primary interest is in advancing MAYDAY's plan and goals. If you disagree, I would very much like to hear from you.

I will publish this email as an open letter to you on my blog.

If you choose to write me a reply, I will be pleased to post your reply on my blog, along with this email.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck 

5 comments:

  1. I signed all 5 original Mayday pledges. I won the primary as an Independent and will be facing Wall St Democrat Mike Thompson one on one. This is a golden opportunity to remove both parties from congress. However Mayday.us website doesn't even list me as a candidate. Anyone who knows anything about finance reform should know "Take back the Fed" says it all. How many other candidates on the Nov. 4th ballot have taken all 5 Mayday pledges. Wake up Lessig! If you want reform, back me up. Nationalize the Federal reserve, and finance reform will follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you are James Hinton. I don't know if this blogger website is forcing you to post as "Anonymous." I am trying to figure out why I got a delivery failure response on the email I sent you. Maybe other MAYDAY supporters understand why "Take back the Fed" says it all about campaign finance reform. If you explain it to me for my benefit, I will post it here, and other MAYDAY supporters who also don't understand will understand better. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. James Hinton has the most comprehensive platform out there that, if enacted will end the economic depression in a single day. Campaign Finance Reform is not an issue that should come before any on James Hinton's platform. Look at the case of Dave Brat vs Eric Cantor. Brat won with 138,000 to Cantor's 6 million because he had the pay-to-play media on his side. Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin are each paid millions of dollars each year by the Koch funded Heritage Foundation and their subsidiary PACS to push their candidates. Campaign Finance Reform as Mayday PAC calls for it would simply take campaign finance out of the hands of the Federal Election Commission fec.gov and put it in darker hands that cannot be researched. Mexico already has the type of Campaign Finance Reform that Mayday PAC wants and the situation is more corrupt with bribes and paid media. Billionaires will always find a way to get their candidates in especially if you take the FEC out of the equation. James Hinton's platform points are the most pressing in our times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame on Mayday PAC for not supporting such a progressive platform

    ReplyDelete
  4. Campaign finance reform is a process reform that will not have any effects right away. The specific programmatic planks of James' platform will immediately help people in need of jobs, food and housing assistance, refinancing of student or mortgage loans, etc., right away.

    ReplyDelete