Saturday, August 16, 2014

To voters in NH, IA03, NC03, NH01, and AZ07

Earlier this year I ran in the Republican primary in the Alabama 6th Congressional district.

I ran my campaign as virtually a single issue for reducing the influence of money in politics. 

I am persuaded by the critique that Lawrence Lessig and others have made about how money in politics has substantially impaired the functioning of our Congress and has resulted in a government in Washington DC that is not of, by and for the people.

The primary election in the Alabama 6th Congressional district was on June 3rd.  I was not successful in the election.

In the primary election campaign, none of the other candidates were willing to discuss my issue or take a position on it.

I have continued to press the issue, and I am now conducting a write in campaign. (See my campaign blog entry On Nov. 4, 2014, write in Rob Shattuck for Congress in AL06.) 

MAYDAY.US (started by Lawrence Lessig) has embarked on a plan with a goal of obtaining a reform minded Congress in 2016, and, in 2014, it is selecting eight Congressional races to focus on.

Five have been selected thus far. MAYDAY.US is supporting Republican Jim Rubens in the Republican primary for the United States Senate in New Hampshire, and Staci Appel in the Iowa 3rd Congressional district against the Republican David Young. In a second announcement, MAYDAY announced it is supporting: Walter Jones (R, NC-3), Carol Shea-Porter (D, NH-1) and Ruben Gallego, Democratic candidate in Arizona’s seventh congressional district to replace retiring Congressman Ed Pastor.

I believe the matter MAYDAY.US is pushing is deserving of bipartisan support. I believe that any Republican or Democrat who finds the status quo acceptable is ill serving his or her constituents, and the American people generally.

I urge the voters in NH, IA03, NC03, NH01, and AZ07  inform themselves about this issue, decide their own views, and vote accordingly on November 4th (or, in the case of Jim Rubens, the primary election on September 9th). I hope the voters in NH, IA03, NC03, NH01, and AZ07 will conclude that the status quo is not acceptable and demand that there be reform.

Sincerely,
Rob Shattuck
Mountain Brook, AL

1 comment:

  1. In NH, I am an Independent voter supporting Jim Rubens as a true believer in the Mayday cause. Mayday chose to support Jim for his positions in favor of fundamental reform of our campaign financing fiasco. To advance the cause, I have created a website, www.independentsforjimrubens.com and a Facebook page "Independents for Jim Rubens" trying to rally Independent (undeclared) and Republican voters to support Jim Rubens at the Sept 9th primary. Please visit either the site or the page, and spread the word. Does this seem like a good subject for tweeting to your NH audience? Can you help? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete