Friday, December 5, 2014

2014 MAYDAY candidate Jim Rubens

Jim Rubens was supported by MAYDAY in the Republican primary election in New Hampshire for the United States Senate (running against, among others, Scott Brown). I am endeavoring to reach out to Jim for what he might contribute in MAYDAY's effort for the 2016 elections. Below is an email interchange I have had with Jim.

From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: Let's talk
To: Jim Rubens <jim@jimrubens.com>
Cc: "Rick Staggenborg,MD" <staggenborg4senate@hotmail.com>, Lee Woodsmall<wlwoodsmall@gmail.com>, Matt Vaughan <matt@unitedrepublic.org>
Thanks very much for emailing, Jim. I will call you in due course.
Let me, if I may, lay out briefly where I am coming from.
I am a novice and an amateur at this. You have significant political experience.
Lessig started off MAYDAY by calling it a "moonshot."
There is a good chance it is and will remain "pie in the sky" and will never happen.
Nonetheless, I don't see Lessig giving up, and I consider myself all in with MAYDAY. See From the AL 6th Cong'l district: I am not crushed.
I don't know what plan the MAYDAY leadership team will devise for MAYDAY and the 2016 elections.
I am trying hard to stir grassroots publicizing of MAYDAY, and I am even trying to find would be Congressional candidates elsewhere in the country. See Finding would be Congressional candidates for 2016.
Frankly, I don't know whether my efforts are futile flailing (and possibly even counterproductive), and I should call a halt to them as a waste of time.
Until I get a better read from other MAYDAY activists about what I am doing, I will continue my efforts.
Any comments you have about how MAYDAY supporters can best contribute to help advance MAYDAY's goal would be very appreciated by myself.
Recently, I reached out to Represent.Us, and also to an acquaintance in Oregon who does work on the "amend" front. I am copying this email to those contacts, as well as to Lee Woodsmall, who is my contact at MAYDAY. I don't know whether "loop" building helps anything, but that is what I am trying to do.
Further to creating shared awareness, I am recording my efforts and communications in The MAYDAY Supporters Blog. Your name already appears in the blog, and I will add this email to the blog. If you prefer mention of you in the blog be changed or eliminated, let me know, and I will endeavor to accommodate your wishes.
I hope this doesn't come off too amateurish in your eyes (or, worse, ineffective). I am endeavoring the best I can in the circumstances.
I am sure we will converse by telephone in due course.
Sincerely,
Rob

From: Jim Rubens <jim@jimrubens.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: Let's talk
To: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Cc: Matt Vaughan <matt@unitedrepublic.org>, "Rick Staggenborg,MD" <staggenborg4senate@hotmail.com>, Lee Woodsmall <wlwoodsmall@gmail.com>
Rob
Anyone dedicated to the noble cause of ending corruption is a patriot... no apologies needed.
MayDay PAC 2014 was an acknowledged experiment from which we learn. No experiment, no learning and no progress.
In my run in the GOP primary for US Senate, I made political money corruption and careerism major issues which resonated intensely with voters across the spectrum. I lost to Scott Brown for two reasons. First I was outspent about 10 to 1 and second the anti establishment vote was split approximately in half between two anti establishment candidates me being one. Had I run head to head I likely would have won and MayDay's doubters no doubt would have been silent.
Call when you can.
Regards,
Jim Rubens
(603) 359-3300

From: Rob Shattuck <rdshattuck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Subject: Re: Let's talk
To: Jim Rubens <jim@jimrubens.com>
Cc: Matt Vaughan <matt@unitedrepublic.org>, "Rick Staggenborg,MD" <staggenborg4senate@hotmail.com>, Lee Woodsmall <wlwoodsmall@gmail.com>
Thanks for the quick reply, Jim.
I know the 2016 election cycle has only just begun, and MAYDAY's plan, strategy and tactics will evolve.
Right now, if you judge by the MAYDAY.US Facebook Page and the MAYDAY Facebook Group Page, you will see that they are largely confining themselves to discussion among themselves, and they are not promoting that MAYDAY supporters go out and find ways to publicize MAYDAY to the public and they are not promoting trying to find Congressional candidates or would be candidates for 2016.
I have been urging promotion of supporters interfacing with the public and trying to find candidates or would be candidates, but this has been declined thus far. I thus took it upon myself to try to do the promoting by means of The MAYDAY Supporters Blog and tweeting directly to MAYDAY supporters.
Hopefully these discrepancies will get ironed out in due course.
If you wish to weigh in on these matters, please do so.
Until we talk, thanks for your interest in this thus far.
Sincerely,
Rob
.

No comments:

Post a Comment