Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Roy Cho candidacy: Root problem vs. multiple issues

Today I became aware of Roy Cho's candidacy in the New Jersey 5th Congressional district. This came about by my seeing Roy's October 28th #lessig tweet, which gave a link to Prof. Lessig's instagram supporting Roy.

Roy ran a "multiple issues" campaign, as reflected on his Issues webpage, and on which webpage Campaign Finance Reform is placed first.

As described in From the AL 6th Cong'l district: I am not crushed, I ran a single issue ("root problem") campaign.

What did my "root problem" campaign gain?

What my "root problem" campaign has gained is the establishment of an incontrovertible and blatant record that the relevant powers that be for my Congressional district refuse to give any public recognition to the possibility that there is something fundamentally wrong with Congress.

These powers that be categorically will not discuss this possibility in a public way and seek that no one else (such as myself) is successful in bringing about public discussion.

Thus far, these powers that be for my Congressional district have managed to get away with giving no recognition to any possibility that something is fundamentally wrong with Congress and with keeping the matter from getting in the public eye.

How long can these powers that be in my Congressional district get away with this?

If I continue to push on this in the Alabama 6th Congressional district, and more and more persons in the district became aware of the stark unwillingness of the powers that be to entertain any discussion, at what point will the powers that be start to look bad in the public eye in my Congressional district?

Perhaps I can never make meaningful headway.

For now, look at the record of what I have done to date, and think about what might be done in the coming 2016 election cycle.


What would happen in other Cong'l districts?

What would happen if similar campaigns were mounted in other Congressional districts?

My Congressional district is very Republican.

Would the powers that be for a Democratic district be more amenable to giving public recognition to the possibility that there is something fundamentally wrong with Congress?

In my campaign, I said: "The message of the other six candidates to you is that your enemy is Obama and the Democrats. My message to you is that the common enemy of average Democrats, average Republicans, and average independents is the political class in Washington DC."

I don't know to what extent you agree with the foregoing and whether you would agree that a "root problem" campaign in a Democratic district would call for a campaign message to the effect of: "Your enemy is not the Republicans; rather, the common enemy of average Republicans, average Democrats and average Independents is the political class in Washington DC."

If the latter is the message if a campaign such as mine is conducted in a Democratic district, then I think the powers that be will be equally resistant to a candidate purveying that message, as the powers that be in my Congressional district were resistant to me.

I am of the belief that Congress collectively will not give public recognition to the possibility that something is fundamentally wrong with Congress.

Thus, I would make a general prediction that, if a "root problem" campaign such as mine is carried out in other Congressional districts, the powers that be in those districts would refuse to discuss the matter and would seek for the topic not to gain public attention, similar to what occurred in my Congressional district.

The goal would be to make those powers that be look bad in their Congressional districts, and for this to happen in as many Congressional districts as possible, and ultimately to make Congress look collectively bad throughout the country, as would materially help MAYDAY in achieving its goal.


Roy Cho's candidacy

The purpose of this entry is to try to generate discussion about which can achieve more in pushing forward MAYDAY's goal, i.e., "root issue" campaigns versus multiple issue campaigns.

Maybe both types need to be pursued.

I would like to hear what Roy Cho has to say.

I would like to hear what you think.

Thank you.


Update 11/13

No comments:

Post a Comment